China’s OPPO and OnePlus are reportedly shutting down their smartphone business in key markets of Europe. Tipter Max Jambor confidently confirmed that OPPO and OnePlus are pulling out of Europe, starting from Germany, the UK, France, and the Netherlands.
Update: March 27, 08:19 AM | OnePlus denied rumors of its departure from Europe and the UK (via Android Authority).
“OnePlus will not exit from Europe and the UK and maintains stable operations in local markets. OnePlus will continue to invest in Europe and provide more innovative product and solutions for its users.”
Samsung, on the other hand, continues to follow the path of innovation and delivering cutting-edge technology to consumers in the region. Even after the massive economical downturn, the company is presenting pro-grade smartphones and devices with meaningful upgrades.
Rivals from China including OnePlus and OPPO first tried to match Samsung with cheap devices having flagship specs on paper. They continue to launch new phones and mobile devices in European markets, but consumers have not prioritized them over Galaxy!
In the last year, OPPO and OnePlus together faced a whopping 17 percent decline in Europe. As both vendors managed to grab a slice of the smartphone market in the past few years, they will maintain a team with a limited number of workers to keep operations running.
Tipster SnoopyTech revealed that both phone makers will gradually pull down operations in the region, probably by mid-2023. Through this decision, Chinese competitors are making more room for Samsung in European markets including the UK, Germany, and France.
So far, OnePlus or OPPO has not officially confirmed their departure from Europe. Meanwhile, the regional laws and policies might be making business tougher for these vendors, in addition to facing a sharp drop. That said, Samsung is swiftly following the EU and its decisions to run the business as smoothly as butter.
It’s worth mentioning that Oppo has recently launched its first flip-style foldable phone in the UK. As the business is going to be terminated, there won’t be any sequel in the region, while Find N2 Flip owners will face difficulties in after-sales support.
Phones will be banned in schools across New Zealand
New Zealand’s new Prime Minister Christopher Luxon announced that he would promote the ban on phones in primary and secondary schools across the country. This initiative aims to improve the quality of education for primary and secondary school students in New Zealand.
According to New Zealand education sources, the literacy skills of New Zealand primary and secondary school students have been declining in the past few years, and have even reached a “crisis” level. Over 1/3rd of the country’s 15-year-old students have poor literacy levels, which has aroused concern from all walks of life.
In order to solve this problem, New Zealand’s new Prime Minister Lacson decided to take action. Within 100 days after taking office, he push for the ban on mobile phones in primary and secondary schools across the country to reduce students’ distractions so they could concentrate on class.
Nintendo may use Samsung OLED display on its new console
Nintendo is in talks with Samsung Display for supply of the next-generation OLED panels, following Valve’s SteamDeck. Both companies initially considered China’s BOE as a supplier but changed way to Samsung due to the burden of the risk arising from the patent infringement lawsuit.
According to the report, Japan’s Nintendo is known to have requested the supply of OLED panels from Samsung Display, following Valve. These companies negotiated with China’s BOE to lower device prices, but it is said that they chose Samsung Display panels.
In June 2022, Samsung Display filed a patent infringement lawsuit against China’s BOE in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas. The technology that Samsung Display claims to be infringing on is five OLED display patents for all products released after the iPhone 12.
Last December, Samsung Display filed a complaint with the ITC against 17 US parts wholesalers to keep BOE in check, asking the ITC to stop using parts and panels that infringe on the company’s ‘Diamond Pixel’.
Accordingly, BOE filed a countersuit in Chongqing’s First Intermediate People’s Court in May against Samsung Display China and Samsung Elec China, claiming patent infringement.
Snapdragon 8 Gen 4 to be made by TSMC, for Galaxy by Samsung
Similar to the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2, TSMC is exclusively producing Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 chipset. While the new processor has just started to debut with smartphones, a new leak suggests that TSMC will continue to produce Snapdragon 8 Gen 4, while Samsung orders shelved until 2025.
According to tipster Revegnus, Qualcomm will rely solely on TSMC for producing the 3nm-based Snapdragon 8 Gen 4 processor in 2024. The company has reportedly decided to bet on Taiwanese chip manufacturer again as it’s aiming to use custom Oryon CPU cores.
It’s worth noting that a dual chip sourcing strategy is still on the cards for 2025 when the Snapdragon 8 Gen 5 comes out, while the Snapdragon 8 Gen 4 for Galaxy will be produced at Samsung’s foundry 3GAP, reports Taiwan’s TechNews.
In a multi-core scenario, the Snapdragon 8 Gen 4 is said to surpass 10,000 points on Geekbench 6, while the Adreno 830 GPU offers the same level of power draw as the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 while offering excellent performance gains. The whole SoC is rumored to consume just 8W.