This copyright policy sets out how users are permitted to use our content and also explains the types of use cases that require our permission. This policy forms part of our terms and conditions. Thank you for reading this policy: our ability to invest in high-quality content creation depends on our users complying with it.
We reserve the right to change our copyright policy from time to time by publishing an updated policy on sammyfans.com, which shall become effective and replace any previous policy with effect from publication. This version of the copyright policy was published on December 1, 2020.
What is copyright?
Copyright law gives the copyright owner the exclusive right to control the use of copyright-protected works. All of the material published on our website and other digital/wireless platforms is protected by copyright law and should only be used as set out in the “How to use SammyFans content?” section below.
Use that is made without our permission may, therefore, infringe our copyright which can result in personal and corporate liability. Where we state below that something is not allowed or permitted, then to do so is a breach of our terms and conditions: that is, it is a breach of contract, and may also violate copyright law.
How to use SammyFans content?
- You can view our content for your personal use on any device that is compatible with sammyfans.com and store our content on that device for your personal use.
- You can print single copies of articles on paper for your personal use.
- You can share links to articles by using any sharing options we make available.
How may I republish or redistribute SammyFans content?
Except for the above-mentioned use cases, you may not copy SammyFans content from sammyfans.com and may not republish or redistribute full-text articles, for example by pasting them into emails or republishing them into any media, including websites, newsletter, or any other platform.
We know that users like our content and may want to share the information inside the articles with others. Therefore we permit limited republishing and redistribution of the SammyFans content according to our guidelines and do not create a substitute for SammyFans’s own content.
A Substitute is defined as a product or service that reduces the need for users or other third parties to pay attention to SammyFans’s content directly, or which creates revenue from SammyFans’s content to the detriment of SammyFans’s own ability to generate revenues from that content.
As long as you do not create a Substitute, you may do the following:
- Publish online, the original SammyFans headline and a link to the article, and the first 140 characters of an article (what we call teaser text).
- Forward the original headlines, links, and teaser text to other individuals.
- Download our RSS feeds and view them for your personal use. You may also make an RSS feed available to third parties, users within an organization you work for or users of a website that you publish, on condition that you comply with the restrictions set out below.
Am I allowed to copy or summarise limited parts of SammyFans full-text content?
As specified above you may not republish or redistribute full-text articles (except as permitted by any sharing tools we make available).
You may, however, republish or redistribute ”Summaries” of SammyFans articles if you comply with the conditions set out below. “Summaries” can be either an “extract” or an “abstract”. By “extract” we mean 30 words copied verbatim from a SammyFans article which is inserted into a longer original work.
By “abstract” we mean a 30 word non-verbatim summary of the news or facts reported in a SammyFans article which does not form part of a longer work and does not misrepresent the original SammyFans article.
These are the conditions you must comply with in order to produce summaries:
- You source Sammy Fans as the author of any article from which you have derived a summary by way of an attribution such as “[journalist name] at the Sammy Fans reported that”, with a hypertext link from the word “Sammy Fans” to the original story published on sammyfans.com.
- In the case of abstracts, you make clear that the abstract has been produced by you by stating “this abstract from the Sammy Fans was produced by [name]”, with a hypertext link from the word “Sammy Fans” to the original story published on sammyfans.com.
- You ensure that your summaries do not in whole or in part from a Substitute for SammyFans’s own products and services (see above for how we define Substitute). The more summaries you create the greater the risk of substitution. No individual or organization may create, republish, or redistribute more than ten summaries in aggregate each day, each one sourced from a different SammyFans article that is published on the same day you create the summary.
- You do not use or create summaries that promote or endorse any product or service.
- If SammyFans notifies you that it believes you are creating, republishing or redistributing summaries outside of these parameters, you shall immediately cease doing so and your rights to create summaries shall be regarded as having been withdrawn, unless/until SammyFans reaches an agreement with you regarding your use of SammyFans articles.
How am I allowed to link to SammyFans content?
- You may link to the homepage of sammyfans.com or the URL of the article that you’ve used.
- It must not be a site or service that infringes any intellectual property or another right of any person or that otherwise does not comply with all relevant laws and regulations.
- It must not be a site or service that contains content that could be construed as distasteful or offensive.
What am I not permitted to do with SammyFans content?
You cannot do anything other than making use of the content as set out above unless you have our permission or give us a proper source (see below for details). By way of example only, this means that you cannot:
- Copy, publish or redistribute full-text articles, photographs, graphics, tables, or images in any way (except as permitted by any sharing tools we make available).
- Create derivative works from our content, unless you are creating summaries as described above.
- Photocopy or scan copies of articles.
- Remove the copyright or trademark notice from any copies of SammyFans content.
- Use spidering technology or other data mining technologies to search and link to sammyfans.com.
- Create a database in the electronic or structured manual form by systematically and/or regularly downloading, caching, printing, and storing all or any SammyFans content (by spidering or otherwise).
- Frame, harvest or scrape SammyFans content or otherwise access SammyFans content for similar purposes.
- Use or attempt to use SammyFans content outside the parameters we set depending on what subscription you have.