Samsung March 2023 security patch details go official, confirming fixes for a number of CVEs as well as One UI Keyboard, System UI, and more. As of March 6, the company has not started the latest patch’s rollout for Galaxy devices, but we believe it’s not too away now.
According to the info, March 2023 security patch for Samsung devices brings Google patches that are mentioned in the Android security bulletin. There are a number of common vulnerability exposures listed in the document that falls into different ranges including:
- Critical – 5
- High – 35
- Moderate – 0
- Already fixed – 4
- Not applicable – 5
Apart from this, the March 2023 patch also includes 23 One UI patches which Samsung calls SVE (Samsung Vulnerabilities and Exposures). Together with Android and One UI patches, the latest software update ensures the best security and privacy on Galaxy devices.
Severe issues that are patched in the March OTA:
Improper access control vulnerability in Call application prior to SMR Mar-2023 Release 1 allows local attackers to access sensitive information without proper permission. The patch adds proper permission to prevent improper access.
Improper authorization in Samsung Keyboard prior to SMR Mar-2023 Release 1 allows a physical attacker to access users’ text history on the lock screen. The patch removes the context menu on the lock screen.
Vulnerability in System UI
Improper privilege management vulnerability in PhoneStatusBarPolicy in System UI allows attackers to turn off Do not disturb via unprotected intent. Samsung’s March 2023 patch adds proper protection for the intent.
Path traversal vulnerability in Galaxy Themes Service allows attackers to access arbitrary files with system uid.
The March update adds proper input validation.
Improper access control vulnerability in Bluetooth prior allows attackers to send files via Bluetooth without related permission. The company has also patched this flaw with the latest OTA release, which affects Galaxy devices running Android 11 to 13.
Use after-free vulnerability in decon driver
This issue affected Galaxy devices running Android 11/12/13 with Exynos 2100 chipset (Galaxy S21 series). It allows attackers to cause memory access faults, which have been fixed with the addition of proper check logic to prevent use after free.
Here are the CVE items:
- CVE-2022-33232, CVE-2022-33243, CVE-2022-40514, CVE-2023-20951, CVE-2023-20954
- CVE-2022-0850, CVE-2022-41222, CVE-2023-20937, CVE-2023-20938, CVE-2023-20602, CVE-2022-33221, CVE-2022-33233, CVE-2022-33248, CVE-2022-33277, CVE-2022-47339, CVE-2022-47331
- CVE-2023-20906, CVE-2023-20911, CVE-2023-20917, CVE-2023-20947, CVE-2023-20963, CVE-2023-20956, CVE-2023-20958, CVE-2023-20964, CVE-2023-20926, CVE-2023-20931, CVE-2023-20936
- CVE-2023-20953, CVE-2023-20955, CVE-2023-20957, CVE-2023-20959, CVE-2023-20960, CVE-2023-20966, CVE-2022-4452, CVE-2022-20467, CVE-2023-20929, CVE-2023-20952, CVE-2023-20962, CVE-2022-20499, CVE-2023-20910
Already included in previous updates
- CVE-2022-40502, CVE-2022-40512, CVE-2022-33271, CVE-2022-33306
Not applicable to Samsung devices
- CVE-2022-39189, CVE-2022-39842, CVE-2022-33280, CVE-2022-34145, CVE-2022-34146
Send us carrier-locked or unlocked phones software update screenshot or information here – tip[at]sammyfans[dot]com
| Source |
Samsung One UI September 2023 Updates List
The second Beta of One UI 6 brought the September 2023 security patch to the Galaxy S23 series in late August. At the same time, Samsung is rolling out the September 2023 updates to a range of Galaxy devices, and the patch details went live on the 5th.
Samsung officially disclosed that its September 2023 updates will be rolled out for a number of Galaxy devices. The company includes common vulnerability exposure items by Google in its Galaxy software along with additional Samsung vulnerability exposures.
September 2023 Bulletin:
Android 14 & One UI 6:
Google has reportedly postponed the official launch of Android 14 by a month. Reports claim that there are a few vulnerabilities that are delaying the Stable OS release, and the launch could happen on October 4. Meanwhile, Samsung has been running the One UI 6 Beta Program since the last month.
Samsung One UI September 2023 Updates List
- Samsung Galaxy Galaxy A32, Galaxy A21s, Galaxy A02, and Galaxy M02 are getting a September 2023 update to enhance system security.
- September 2023 security update now available for for Galaxy A52s smartphone with a huge package size.
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 getting a new update with September 2023 update
- September 2023 update rolling out for Samsung Galaxy M32 smartphone.
- Samsung Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20 Plus, and Galaxy S20 Ultra smartphones are getting a September 2023 security update.
- Samsung Galaxy A72 users are getting a new huge update with a September 2023 security patch.
- Samsung is rolling out a new update for Galaxy S21, Galaxy S21 Plus, and Galaxy S21 Ultra, which installs the latest Android security patch released in September 2023.
- Samsung has begun rolling out the September 2023 security update for Galaxy A54 5G smartphone users.
- Samsung has started releasing a September 2023 security update for Galaxy A03s smartphone.
- Samsung has finally started releasing a new update for Galaxy S21 FE, which brings the latest Android security patch released in September 2023.
- Samsung is rolling out a new update with the September 2023 update for the Galaxy A71 smartphone.
- Samsung is sending a new update for Galaxy A53 5G smartphone users, which installs the latest Android security patch released in September 2023.
- The Galaxy A52 4G smartphone is getting a new update with September 2023 security patch to improve system security
- Samsung has begun releasing the September 2023 security update for Galaxy S20 FE users
- Samsung begins rolling out a new software update for the Galaxy A32 5G in the US.
- Samsung is sending a new update with the September 2023 update for the Galaxy A13 5G smartphone in the US.
- Samsung Galaxy S23, Galaxy S23 Plus, and Galaxy S23 Ultra are getting the September 2023 security update in Europe.
- The Galaxy Z Flip 3 and Galaxy Z Flip are getting the September 2023 security update for unlocked models in the US
- Samsung is releasing September 2023 security update for Galaxy S23 series, Galaxy A52 4G, Galaxy A72, and Galaxy Z Fold 2 smartphones
- Samsung has started rolling out a new update with a September 2023 security patch for Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Galaxy Z Flip 5
- Samsung has pushed a September 2023 security update for Galaxy Note 20, Note 20 Ultra, Z Fold 3 and Z Fold 4
- Galaxy S23 and Galaxy S22 series received the latest security patch on One UI 5.1 software.
- September 2023 patch rolled out for Galaxy A14 5G, making it the first Samsung phone to get the update on Stable channel.
- Samsung’s September 2023 patch is already out for Galaxy S23 One UI 6 Beta participants
4 Samsung Galaxy smartphones getting September 2023 security update
Samsung already rolled out a September 2023 security update for a bunch of Galaxy devices and the company is now making it available for 4 more Galaxy smartphones – Galaxy A32, Galaxy A21s, Galaxy A02, and Galaxy M02. The latest update improves system security and stability by installing the latest Android security patch.
September 2023 security patch mends over 60 flaws, which are mainly related to Samsung Keyboard, Dual Messenger, Knox AI, Phone and Messaging Storage, One UI Home, Weather, and more.
- Galaxy A32 5G – A326U1UESBDWI1
- Galaxy A21s – A217FXXSADWI1
- Galaxy A02 – A022GDXS3BWH1
- Galaxy M02 – M022FXXS3BWH1
How to Update:
If you have received the notification of the update then install it now to get a bug-free experience. You can also check the update by visiting the Settings app on your smartphone and opening the Software Update section.
Now, click on the Download and install option. If any update is available, you can follow the on-screen instructions to install the update on your Galaxy smartphone.
September 2023 update for Samsung Galaxy Note 20 live in India
After Europe and the US, Samsung has started expanding the September 2023 security update for Galaxy Note 20 and Galaxy Note 20 Ultra smartphones in India. The latest update improves system security and stability to provide a better Galaxy experience.
September 2023 security update for the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 series in India can be identified through One UI build version N98xBXXS8HWI3. Through this update, the company aims to provide seamless and bug-free device performance as it fixes over 60 security flaws.
The Korean tech giant will soon make this fresh update available for all Note 20 users. If you have received this update, then you can install it through Settings >> Tap on Software Update >> Click on the Download and Install option.