Samsung’s yet another budget phone is now official and it’s entitled as the Galaxy A22! Unlike other budget phones, it comes with a handful of interesting features such as a high refresh rate display, flagship-like camera capabilities, powerful processor, eye-catching colors, and much more.
After surfacing on the web several times, the Galaxy A22 smartphone has finally made an official debut on June 3rd, 2021, but consumers have to wait as it just announced and the company has reserved its launch to the market. Meanwhile, we got every single specification, design, and feature of this new handset.
Galaxy A22: Premium features at the budget segment
Yes… you got it right! The South Korean tech giant’s new budget smartphone comes with a 6.4-inch Super AMOLED Infinity-U display with HD+ resolution and a 90Hz refresh rate, quite identical to the premium Galaxies.
In terms of optics, the Galaxy A22 features a quad rear camera sensor, which consists of a 48MP primary camera, with OIS and autofocus, plus an 8MP ultrawide sensor (F2.2), a 2MP macro camera (F2.4), and a 2MP depth sensor (F2.4). On the front, it has a 13MP selfie camera with an F2.2 aperture.
Of course, it comes with the last year’s Android 11 OS and Samsung One UI 3.1 software system, which makes it eligible for upgrades up to Android 13 (most probably the One UI 5.x). Powered by an octa-core MediaTek Helio G80 processor, it will be available in three memory options: 4GB/64GB, 4GB/128GB, and 6GB/128GB.
Apart from this, the Galaxy A22 also brings Dolby Atmos audio for earphones and Bluetooth devices that’s nice for playing content. Additional features include a side-mounted fingerprint reader, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card, 5000mAh battery with 15W fast charging, LTE, GPS, Wi-Fi ac, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, USB Type-C port, and a 3.5mm headphone jack.
Last but not least, Samsung is yet to reveal the pricing and availability of the Galaxy A22 smartphone, while it’s expected very soon. But the company confirmed its four eye-catching colors – Black, Mint, Violet, and White. Let’s wait for the price confirmation, we’ll keep you posted whenever it gets confirmed!
Keep up with the Galaxy A22 specs via this colorful infographic
Samsung One UI 6 Beta
Google launches a new major iteration of its mobile platform every year. 2022 was an impressive year, when it comes to Android 13 update distribution for Samsung devices. In October 2023, Google is likely to release Android 14, which will debut on the Samsung Galaxy lineup with the One UI 6 update.
One UI 6 Beta Release
Samsung One UI 6 Beta Program started in August, while Android 14 reached Platform Stability with the third Beta release in early June. The company could probably reveal its Android 14 rollout plan regarding the Beta in the next few days as it recently published the announcement post.
Android 13-based One UI 5 Beta Program started for the Galaxy S22 series on August 5. This year, the Galaxy S23 series is the initial lineup that is invited for Android 14’s Beta by Samsung. These devices will receive the Android 14-based One UI 6 Beta update:
One UI 6 Beta Eligible Devices
- Galaxy Z Series
- Z Fold 5 & Z Flip 5
- Z Fold 4 & Z Flip 4
- Z Fold 3 and Z Flip 3
- Galaxy S Series
- S23, S23 Plus & S23 Ultra – Beta 3
- S22, S22 Plus & S22 Ultra
- S21, S21 Plus & S21 Ultra
- Galaxy A Series
- A54 – Korea
One UI 6 Beta Eligible Countries
The Beta Program of One UI 6 update is available in these seven markets:
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
One UI 6 Beta Latest News [Updated on September 28]
- One UI 6 Beta 5 for the Galaxy S23 series arrives: Fixes touch, camera, rebooting, and more issues
- Samsung has finally opened the One UI 6 Beta program based on Android 14 for the Galaxy A53 in India.
- Users of the Galaxy S22 series in India can now enjoy One UI 6 features and enhancements ahead of stable release as Samsung has officially begun the Beta Program.
- Samsung today begins the rollout of One UI 6 Beta 4 to the Galaxy S23 series. October 2023 security patch included in the Beta 4 alongside critical bug fixes.
- Samsung has opened the Android 14-based One UI 6 Beta Program for Galaxy S21, Galaxy S21 Plus, and Galaxy S21 Ultra.
- Samsung has started rolling out an incremental software update to the Galaxy S23 series. Considered the One UI 6 Beta 3 Hotfix.
- Samsung has finally started the One UI 6 Beta Program for Galaxy S22, Galaxy S22 Plus, and Galaxy S22 Ultra
- Samsung has just rolled out the One UI 6 Beta 3 update based on Android 14, which introduces significant enhancements, new features, and bug fixes.
- Samsung begins Android 14-based One UI 6 Beta Program for the Galaxy A54 5G in South Korea.
- The third One UI 6 Beta update was reportedly released to some Galaxy S23 smartphone users in Europe.
Aug 31 – Sep 4
- Galaxy S23’s Beta 2 is available in all seven eligible markets, came as first Beta in China, India, Poland and the UK.
- After the One UI 6 Beta 1 update, Samsung is rolling out the hotfix update for Galaxy S23, Galaxy S23, and Galaxy S23 Plus smartphones in Korea.
- Samsung has finally started the Android 14-based One UI 6 Beta Program for the Galaxy S23, Galaxy S23 Plus and Galaxy S23 Ultra in South Korea, Germany and the US.
- Samsung revealed the One UI 6 Beta design changes and availability for the Galaxy S23 series. However, the official announcement post has been taken down minutes after publishing.
- Samsung representative revealed that the rollout of One UI 6 Bet has been postponed due to bugs.
- Samsung teased One UI 6 Beta for the Galaxy S23 series by launching a discussion forum in Korean and Indian communities.
- Google today announced the rollout of the Android 14 Beta 4, which is considered near-stable. Pixel phones could receive Stable Android 14 next month, while Samsung’s One UI 6 Beta comes quite near.
- The One UI 6 Beta based on Android 14 is too close to the Galaxy S23 series as the first Public Beta firmware ZWFA has been spotted on the server for the Ultra variant.
- As Android 14 reached Platform Stability, Samsung will soon begin the One UI 6 Beta testing program. It is reported that the Galaxy S23 series will get the new OS on Beta channel in the third week of July.
- Last week, tipster Dohyun Kim, Samsung could release the One UI 6 Beta for the Galaxy S23 series in mid-July this year.
Samsung and other Korean giants stumble as global economy slows
Due to sluggish chip and energy sectors amid a global economic slowdown, South Korea’s major companies performed far worse than their US counterparts in the first half of 2023.
According to FKI report, South Korea’s top 100 nonfinancial firms listed on the main local bourse saw their combined sales edge up 0.3 percent on-year to $746.3 billion in the January-June period.
Samsung saw its sales, operating profit, and net profit dip 21.5%, 95.4% and 86.9% on-year, respectively. Comparable figures of its US counterpart, Apple, dropped 4.2%, 10% and 9.2%.
The FKI stressed the need for South Korean big businesses to establish stable profit sources as they remain more vulnerable to external shocks than big U.S. companies.
The combined operating profit of the Korean companies tumbled 63.4 percent on-year to $24.8 billion won in the six-month period, while that of the U.S. corporations shrank 3.9 percent to $638.5 billion.
Biased camera ranking puts iPhone 15 Pro Max 2nd and Galaxy S23 Ultra 15th: DXOMARK vs Practical Triumph
Camera evaluation firm DXOMARK has recently published its Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max review. In the global ranking, Apple’s hottest (LOL!) iPhone is listed second, after Huawei’s P60 Pro, while the real winner – Samsung’s Galaxy S23 Ultra is 15th.
The new iPhone 15 Pro Max comes with a 40-megapixel primary, a 12-megapixel ultrawide, and a 12-megapixel telephoto camera. Besides, the A17 Pro chipset gives a further boost to the device, enhancing the camera capabilities and photography skills.
DXOMARK blessed the iPhone 15 Pro Max with 154 points and praised vivid brightness and contrast, accurate exposure, pleasant and natural color rendering, and skin tones, excellent detail in bright light, fast and accurate autofocus, and effective video stabilization.
iPhone 15 Pro Max Camera Specs
- 48MP sensor, 2.44µm quad pixels, 24mm equivalent f/1.78-aperture lens, Dual Pixel AF, OIS
- 12MP sensor, 13mm equivalent f/2.2-aperture lens, Dual Pixel AF
- 12MP sensor, 1.12µm pixels, 120 mm equivalent f/2.8-aperture lens, Dual Pixel AF
At the same time, reviewers listed some cons of the latest Apple phone such as noise in low-light photos, unwanted artifacts, including flare, ghosting, and aliasing, slightly limited dynamic range in photos, and inconsistent detail across all zoom ranges.
Galaxy S23 Ultra secured 140 points, and no one cared about DXOMARK numbers. The device is equipped with 200-megapixel primary, 12-megapixel ultrawide and a dual 10-megapixel telephoto sensor setup. In practical, S23 Ultra is miles ahead of the iPhone in overall capabilities and use of technologies.
Galaxy S23 Ultra Camera Specs
- 200MP 1/1.3″ sensor, 0.6 μm pixels, f/1.7-aperture lens, PDAF, AF, OIS
- 12MP 1/2.55″ sensor, 1.4 μm pixels, f/2.2-aperture lens, PDAF, AF, OIS
- 10MP 1/3.52″ sensor, 1.12 μm pixels, f/2.4-aperture lens, PDAF, OIS, 3x optical zoom
- 10MP 1/3.52″ sensor, 1.12 μm pixels, f/4.9-aperture lens, PDAF, OIS, 10x optical zoom