Samsung has now officially published the September 2022 security patch details for Galaxy devices, detailing which bugs, CVEs and SVEs are going to get fixes. The company is bringing a maintenance release for flagship Galaxy devices as part of the monthly Security Maintenance Release (SMR) process.
In addition to CVE fixes from Google, the September 2022 update includes various SVE items from Samsung as well. The company detailed which Android OS bugs (CVEs) and One UI bugs (SVEs) will be fixed with the latest security updates throughout the month.
September SMR CVE Items
Samsung’s September 2022 security update for Galaxy devices comes with 21 high levels, and 3 moderate levels of CVEs. At the same time, there is no critical level of CVE mentioned on the list by the company, while, 2 CVEs are already fixed with previous updates and 4 aren’t applicable.
- CVE-2021-39815, CVE-2022-20122, CVE-2021-0947, CVE-2021-0946, CVE-2021-0698, CVE-2021-0887, CVE-2021-0891, CVE-2021-30259, CVE-2022-22062, CVE-2022-22070, CVE-2022-22067, CVE-2022-22822, CVE-2022-23852, CVE-2022-23990, CVE-2022-25314, CVE-2022-20218, CVE-2022-20392, CVE-2022-20393, CVE-2022-20395, CVE-2022-20398, CVE-2022-20396
- CVE-2022-20197, CVE-2020-0500, CVE-2020-0293
Already included in previous updates
- CVE-2022-22080, CVE-2022-20239
Not applicable to Samsung devices
- CVE-2022-22061, CVE-2022-22069, CVE-2022-22059, CVE-2022-25668
September SMR SVE Items
Apart from CVE items from Google, the South Korean tech giant additionally included 29 Samsung Vulnerabilities and Exposures (SVE) items to improve its customers’ confidence in the security of Galaxy phones and tablets. You can check the SVE list below.
- Use after free vulnerability in mtp_send_signal function of MTP driver
- Use after free vulnerability in sdp_mm_set_process_sensitive function of sdpmm driver
SVE-2022-1086(CVE-2022-36845), SVE-2022-1083(CVE-2022-36841), SVE-2022-1082(CVE-2022-36844), SVE-2022-1081(CVE-2022-36843), SVE-2022-1080(CVE-2022-36860), SVE-2022-1079(CVE-2022-36863), SVE-2022-1077(CVE-2022-36862), SVE-2022-1076(CVE-2022-36842), SVE-2022-1075(CVE-2022-36846), SVE-2022-1074(CVE-2022-36858)
- A heap-based overflow vulnerability in libSDKRecognitionText.spensdk.samsung.so library
- Out of bound read in libapexjni.media.samsung.so
- Improper Authorization vulnerability in setDualDARPolicyCmd
- Improper Authorization vulnerability in Video Editor
- Custom permission misuse in SystemUI
- Intent redirection in Photo Editor
- Improper access control vulnerability in Telecom application
- Improper Authorization vulnerability in Photo Editor
- Path traversal vulnerability in CallBGProvider
- Use After Free vulnerability in iva_ctl driver
Samsung mentioned that some SVE items included in the Samsung Android Security Update cannot be disclosed at this time.
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE, S20 FE, and A53 receive September 2023 update in Brazil
Samsung is rolling out a new update with a September 2023 security patch for Galaxy S21 FE, Galaxy S20 FE, and Galaxy A53 smartphones in Brazil. The new update makes your device more secure and stable by fixing several security flaws.
Through this update, the company enhances Samsung Keyboard, Dual Messenger, Knox AI, Phone and Messaging Storage, One UI Home, Weather, and more functions to provide a bug-free and better experience.
- Galaxy S21 FE – G990EXXS7EWH7
- Galaxy S20 FE – G780GXXS7EWH8
- Galaxy A53 – A536EXXS7CWI2
The fresh update primarily focuses on enhancing the system security of the device by including the latest Android security measures. Additionally, the update addresses various bugs and stability optimizations, which brings a better overall user experience.
If you are using a Samsung Galaxy S21 FE, Galaxy S20 FE, or Galaxy A53 smartphone and live in Brazil, then you can install the September 2023 update through Settings >> Software Update >> Download and install.
Samsung One UI October 2023 Updates List
This is going to be a big month for Samsung enthusiasts. In October 2023, Samsung will release new One UI updates, Galaxy FE products (likely to launch on the 4th), and the official One UI 6, powered by the Android 14 operating system.
In particular, October 2023 security updates will be released for plenty of Samsung devices throughout the month. In the first wave, the company’s popular Galaxy devices may be updated with the latest security patches, then the mid-range and budget ones.
Samsung is expected to reveal October 2023 patch details in the first week. We will make changes to this page, as soon as the company refreshes the software support page for Galaxy devices. Follow our socials → Google News, Telegram, X (formerly Twitter), Facebook
Samsung One UI October 2023 Updates List
- Samsung already rolled out the October 2023 patch to Galaxy S23 w/ the fourth One UI 6 Beta.
Samsung One UI September 2023 Updates List
The second Beta of One UI 6 brought the September 2023 security patch to the Galaxy S23 series in late August. At the same time, Samsung is rolling out the September 2023 updates to a range of Galaxy devices, and the patch details went live on the 5th.
Samsung officially disclosed that its September 2023 updates will be rolled out for a number of Galaxy devices. The company includes common vulnerability exposure items by Google in its Galaxy software along with additional Samsung vulnerability exposures.
September 2023 Bulletin:
Android 14 & One UI 6:
Google has reportedly postponed the official launch of Android 14 by a month. Reports claim that there are a few vulnerabilities that are delaying the Stable OS release, and the launch could happen on October 4. Meanwhile, Samsung has been running the One UI 6 Beta Program since the last month.
Samsung One UI September 2023 Updates List
- Samsung Galaxy Galaxy A32, Galaxy A21s, Galaxy A02, and Galaxy M02 are getting a September 2023 update to enhance system security.
- September 2023 security update now available for for Galaxy A52s smartphone with a huge package size.
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2 getting a new update with September 2023 update
- September 2023 update rolling out for Samsung Galaxy M32 smartphone.
- Samsung Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20 Plus, and Galaxy S20 Ultra smartphones are getting a September 2023 security update.
- Samsung Galaxy A72 users are getting a new huge update with a September 2023 security patch.
- Samsung is rolling out a new update for Galaxy S21, Galaxy S21 Plus, and Galaxy S21 Ultra, which installs the latest Android security patch released in September 2023.
- Samsung has begun rolling out the September 2023 security update for Galaxy A54 5G smartphone users.
- Samsung has started releasing a September 2023 security update for Galaxy A03s smartphone.
- Samsung has finally started releasing a new update for Galaxy S21 FE, which brings the latest Android security patch released in September 2023.
- Samsung is rolling out a new update with the September 2023 update for the Galaxy A71 smartphone.
- Samsung is sending a new update for Galaxy A53 5G smartphone users, which installs the latest Android security patch released in September 2023.
- The Galaxy A52 4G smartphone is getting a new update with September 2023 security patch to improve system security
- Samsung has begun releasing the September 2023 security update for Galaxy S20 FE users
- Samsung begins rolling out a new software update for the Galaxy A32 5G in the US.
- Samsung is sending a new update with the September 2023 update for the Galaxy A13 5G smartphone in the US.
- Samsung Galaxy S23, Galaxy S23 Plus, and Galaxy S23 Ultra are getting the September 2023 security update in Europe.
- The Galaxy Z Flip 3 and Galaxy Z Flip are getting the September 2023 security update for unlocked models in the US
- Samsung is releasing September 2023 security update for Galaxy S23 series, Galaxy A52 4G, Galaxy A72, and Galaxy Z Fold 2 smartphones
- Samsung has started rolling out a new update with a September 2023 security patch for Galaxy Z Fold 5 and Galaxy Z Flip 5
- Samsung has pushed a September 2023 security update for Galaxy Note 20, Note 20 Ultra, Z Fold 3 and Z Fold 4
- Galaxy S23 and Galaxy S22 series received the latest security patch on One UI 5.1 software.
- September 2023 patch rolled out for Galaxy A14 5G, making it the first Samsung phone to get the update on Stable channel.
- Samsung’s September 2023 patch is already out for Galaxy S23 One UI 6 Beta participants