Google has added some new changes to its May 2022 Play System update. The most noticeable improvemnet is that Android 11 and Android 12 device owners are getting the Android 13’s enhanced Photo Picker. It lets you give an app permission to a select few files rather than full permission to all media on your device.
Additionally, the update also improves Android Automotive’s ability to use video streaming apps and the ability for parents to set a persistent launcher on a Family Link-controlled device.
May 5, 2022: Original article
It’s May, the time for May 2022 security updates. Samsung has already uncovered its May 2022 security patch details and now Google has also updated its Google Play System Update support page to reveal all the new changes and improvements for Android users.
Google Play May 2022 update comes with various bug fixes and improvements to boost the overall device performance. Additionally, it also brings new features to help users discover unused apps and games on the Play Store and enhancements to the Play Store billing system.
One of the most noticeable changes that the update brings is the introduction of self sharing to Nearby Share. You can now share files, links, and text from one of your own devices to another without even accepting the incoming share on the receiving device.
Another prominent change is the redesign of the Google Help app, which now supports the Android 12 design language – Material You. There’s much more to know about the update, do check the complete changelog below.
Google Play May 2022 update changelog:
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Bug fixes for account management and system management & diagnostics related services.
- [Phone, Tablet] Migration of the existing device setup onboarding flow for supervised work accounts to a web-based experience.
- [Auto, Phone, TV] Nearby Share now allows users to share content more seamlessly between their devices logged into the same account.
Google Play Store
- Improvements to the Play-as-you-download feature to let gamers start playing mobile games while the app download continues to reduce waiting times.
- New Features to help you discover the Apps & Games you love.
- Optimizations allow faster and more reliable download and installation.
- New features to the Play Pass and Play Points programs.
- Enhancements to Google Play Billing.
- Continuous improvements to Play Protect to keep your device safe.
- Various performance optimizations, bug fixes, and improvements to security, stability, and accessibility.
- [Auto, Phone, Tablet, TV, Wear OS] Design improvements to Google Help app.
- Updates to system management services that improve stability & performance.
- New developer features for Google and third-party app developers to support ads, location services, and utilities-related developer services in their apps.