Back in February 2021, Google introduced the twelfth major generation of its mobile operating system – Android 12. However, Samsung will develop its own software system, One UI 4.0, which will be based on the Android 12 operating system.
Currently, the South Korean tech giant is focussing to complete the Android 11-based One UI 3.0/One UI 3.1 rollout for its remaining eligible devices. But the company has to boost its software system as it will have to begin providing the Android 12 update for its devices later this year.
However, Samsung has not yet announced its Android 12 update plan, but we will maintain a track by collecting every single leak and rumor for the next generation of One UI. You should bookmark this article, which will provide you the latest insights about the Android 12-based One UI 4.0 update for your Galaxy device.
Here, we’ll talk everything about Android 12’s public beta, stable release date, features, and much more. So, we’re starting with the software updates rolling out ahead of Samsung’s Android 12 and One UI 4.0 update. These new firmware updates are based on Android 11/One UI 3.x and Android 10/One UI 2.x.
Samsung June 2021 Security Update
Galaxy S21, Galaxy S21+ and Galaxy S21 Ultra | Galaxy Z Flip 5G and Galaxy Z Flip | Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20+ and Galaxy S20 Ultra | Galaxy A50 | Galaxy A8 (2018) | Galaxy A52 and Galaxy A52 5G | Galaxy Note 9 | Galaxy A71 | Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S10+ | Galaxy Fold | Galaxy S20 FE 5G | Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy Note 10+ | Galaxy Note 20 and Galaxy Note 20 Ultra | Galaxy Z Fold 2 | Galaxy A20 | Galaxy S10 Lite | Galaxy Note 10 Lite | Galaxy M31 and Galaxy M30s | Galaxy M21 | GAlaxy F41 | Galaxy A72.
- You can check our June 2021 Security Updates Tracker for more details.
Samsung Android June 2021 Security Bulletin [New CVE Fixes]
CVE-2021-1891, CVE-2020-11284, CVE-2021-1905, CVE-2021-1915, CVE-2021-1927, CVE-2021-28663, CVE-2021-28664, CVE-2021-0495, CVE-2020-11279, CVE-2020-11273, CVE-2020-11274, CVE-2020-11285, CVE-2020-29661, CVE-2019-2219, CVE-2021-0511, CVE-2021-0521, CVE-2021-0508, CVE-2021-0509, CVE-2021-0510, CVE-2021-0520, CVE-2021-0505, CVE-2021-0506, CVE-2021-0523, CVE-2021-0504, CVE-2021-0517, CVE-2021-0522, CVE-2021-0304
CVE-2021-1906, CVE-2021-0381, CVE-2020-0025, CVE-2021-0385, CVE-2021-0389
Already included in previous updates
CVE-2021-0492, CVE-2021-0491, CVE-2021-0493, CVE-2021-0494, CVE-2021-0497, CVE-2021-0498, CVE-2021-0489, CVE-2021-0490, CVE-2021-0496
Not applicable to Samsung devices
CVE-2021-0467, CVE-2020-11288, CVE-2020-11289, CVE-2021-1910
Samsung Android June 2021 Security Bulletin [New CVE Fixes]
Alongside Google patches, Samsung provides 19 SVE items in order to improve Galaxy device owners’ confidence in security. You can check the list below.
Note: Some of the SVE items may not be included in this package, in case these items were already included in a previous maintenance release.
- SVE-2021-20702 (CVE-2021-25410): Arbitrary file access vulnerability in CallBGProvider
- SVE-2021-20877 (CVE-2021-25413): Possible to access arbitrary content providers
- SVE-2021-20879 (CVE-2021-25414): Possible to theft or overwrite arbitrary files
- SVE-2021-21161 (CVE-2021-25407): Out of bounds write in Samsung NPU driver
- SVE-2021-20641 (CVE-2021-25417): Improper authorization in SDP SDK
- SVE-2021-20984 (CVE-2021-25412): Improper access control in genericssoservice service
- SVE-2021-20948 (CVE-2021-25409): Configure Notification settings without authorization
- SVE-2021-20178 (CVE-2021-25415): Possible remapping RKP memory as writable from EL1
- SVE-2021-20179 (CVE-2021-25416): Possible creating executable kernel page via abusing dynamic load functions
- SVE-2021-20176 (CVE-2021-25411): Vulnerable API in RKP allows attackers to write read-only kernel memory
- SVE-2021-21074 (CVE-2021-25408): Buffer overflow in Samsung NPU driver
Eligible Samsung Devices For New Software Updates [Update Schedule]
Eligible devices for monthly software updates –
- Galaxy Fold, Galaxy Fold 5G, Galaxy Z Fold 2, Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G, Galaxy Z Flip, Galaxy Z Flip 5G
- Galaxy S10, Galaxy S10+, Galaxy S10e, Galaxy S10 5G, Galaxy S10 Lite
- Galaxy S20, Galaxy S20 5G, Galaxy S20+, Galaxy S20+ 5G, Galaxy S20 Ultra, Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, Galaxy S20 FE, Galaxy S20 FE 5G, Galaxy S21 5G, Galaxy S21+ 5G, Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Note 10, Galaxy Note 10 5G, Galaxy Note 10+, Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Galaxy Note 10 Lite, Galaxy Note 20, Galaxy Note 20 5G, Galaxy Note 20 Ultra, Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy A52, Galaxy A52 5G
Enterprise Models: Galaxy A50, Galaxy XCover 4s, Galaxy Xcover FieldPro, Galaxy Xcover Pro, Galaxy Xcover5
Eligible devices for quarterly software updates –
- Galaxy S8 Active, Galaxy S9, Galaxy S9+
- Galaxy Note 8
- Galaxy A10e, Galaxy A10s, Galaxy A20s, Galaxy A30s, Galaxy A40, Galaxy A50s, Galaxy A70s, Galaxy A80, Galaxy A90 5G
- Galaxy A01, Galaxy A01 Core, Galaxy A11, Galaxy A21, Galaxy A21s, Galaxy A31, Galaxy A41, Galaxy A51, Galaxy A51 5G, Galaxy A71, Galaxy A71 5G
- Galaxy A02, Galaxy A02s, Galaxy A12, Galaxy A32, Galaxy A32 5G, Galaxy A42 5G, Galaxy A72, Galaxy A82 5G
- Galaxy M10s, Galaxy M30s, Galaxy M40
- Galaxy M01, Galaxy M11, Galaxy M21, Galaxy M31, Galaxy M31s, Galaxy M51, Galaxy M12
- Galaxy F62, Galaxy F52 5G
- Galaxy Tab A 8 (2019), Galaxy Tab A 8.4 (2020), Galaxy Tab A7, Galaxy Tab A7 Lite, Galaxy Tab Active2, Galaxy Tab Active Pro, Galaxy Tab Active3
- Galaxy Tab S6, Galaxy Tab S6 5G, Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, Galaxy Tab S7, Galaxy Tab S7+, Galaxy Tab S7 FE
- W20 5G, W21 5G
Enterprise Models: Galaxy A8 (2018)
Eligible devices for biannually software updates –
- Galaxy S8 Lite, Galaxy Note FE
- Galaxy A6, Galaxy A6+, Galaxy A7 (2018), Galaxy A8+ (2018), Galaxy A8 Star, Galaxy A8s, Galaxy A9 (2018), Galaxy A2 Core, Galaxy A10, Galaxy A20e, Galaxy A20, Galaxy A30, Galaxy A60, Galaxy A70
- Galaxy J2 Core, Galaxy J3 (2017), Galaxy J3 Top, Galaxy J4, Galaxy J4+, Galaxy J4 Core, Galaxy J5 (2017), Galaxy J6, Galaxy J6+, Galaxy J7 (2017), Galaxy J7 Duo, Galaxy J7 Prime2, Galaxy J7 Top, Galaxy J7 Max, Galaxy J7 Neo, Galaxy J7+, Galaxy J8
- Galaxy M10, Galaxy M20, Galaxy M30
- Galaxy Tab A (2017), Galaxy Tab A 10.5 (2018), Galaxy Tab S4, Galaxy Tab E 8 Refresh, Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019), Galaxy Tab A with S Pen, Galaxy Tab S5e, Galaxy View2
- You can check the Eligible Device List [June 2021] for new security updates
However, Samsung offers two generations of Android upgrades to every Galaxy smartphone and tablet, while the flagships are eligible for three. So, if your Galaxy device has already received two Android updates, don’t worry, the company will deliver new security updates for four years if your device launched in/after 2019.
- Read more about Samsung’s New Four Year Security Updates Policy
Samsung Android 12: What’s New
No doubt, Samsung releases faster software updates compared to Google, but it can not defeat the stock Android in terms of providing the Android 12 update to its Pixel smartphones, which is expected in August this year. So, it is assumed that Samsung will begin the Android 12-based One UI 4.0 rollout later this year.
With the next version of One UI, Samsung will offer a modified user interface, improved user experience, countless new features, and enhancements for the current functions. At the same time, the One UI 4.0 update will also include all the bells and whistles of the Android 12.
Android 12 Features [Confirmed]
Status bar indicator for ongoing calls [June 16, 2021]
Google released the Android 12 Beta 2 with several new privacy features, however, an Android developer discovered a small improvement hidden in the Android 12 code. This code adds a new status bar indicator and combined it with the call process, which can display the duration of the call in the status bar, and has a new design. Read more here
Android 12 Features – Official [May 19, 2021]
- A more personal experience
- Fluid Motion Animations
- Redesigned System Spaces
- Private and Secure by Design
- Improved Accessibility Features
- Scrolling Screenshots
- Conversation Widgets
Android 12 Beta 2 Features – [June 9, 2021]
- Privacy Dashboard
- New power menu
- Addition of microphone and camera indicators that show users if an app is using those.
- Clipboard read notification
- It shows users when an app is reading from a clipboard.
- New Quick Setting toggles to disable app access.
- New Internet Panel
- Makes it easier to switch between internet providers, wifi networks, etc.
Samsung One UI 4.0 Features [Leaked/Rumored]
Samsung insider assuming the company will redesign the upcoming One UI 4 from the ground up. The tipster further added – various smartphone makers redesigned their Android-based user interface and gained success. The same source pointed out that the hardware of the smartphones from different OEMs are somewhere the same nowadays that’s why consumers are thinking more about the software system. [Read more here]
[16/06/2021] First look at Android 12-based One UI 4.0
Report suggests that Samsung is internally testing the latest Android and One UI version for Galaxy devices as a Reddit user posted a video of Galaxy phone running Android 12-based One UI 4.0 in action.
The leaked video suggests that Samsung is reportedly using the radical design changes of the Android 12 for Galaxy devices. However, the device’s traditional quick panel shortcuts such as Wi-Fi, Mobile Data, Hotspot, and Flight Mode have been replaced with a new “Network & Internet” section.
- You should read the full report here – First look at Android 12/One UI 4.0
[09/05/2021] One UI 4.0: Top 7 features we expect with Samsung’s Android 12 update
- Ad-free user interface
- User-friendly notifications
- A more advanced power menu
- Fingerprint unlock animations
- Astrophotography in stock Camera app
- Vertical scrolling App drawer
- Exceptional Recents menu
- Read the full article HERE
[15/04/2021 ] The latest Android 12 features leak revealed several changes including:
- Native Scrolling Screenshot
- New App Pairs feature for Split Screen Multitasking
- Access Google Assistant through the power button
- New Quick Settings buttons
- Major optimizations for tablet
- Attractive design changes
- Read the full article HERE
[25/04/2021] Samsung will redesign One UI 4.0 with loads of user-friendly features
Samsung insider expecting the company will redesign the upcoming One UI 4 from the ground up. The tipster further added – various smartphone makers redesigned their Android-based user interface and gained success. The same source pointed out that the hardware of the smartphones from different OEMs are somewhere the same nowadays that’s why consumers are thinking more about the software system. [Read more here]
Note: We will add the features of One UI 4.0 as soon as we get the authentic information.
Samsung Android 12 One UI 4.0 Eligible Device List [Confirmed]
According to our information, Samsung is committed to providing three years of Android upgrade guarantee for every flagship phone/tablet and select GalaxyA series device. On the basis of official info, we’ve created a list of the Galaxy devices that are confirmed to get the upcoming Android 12 and One UI 4.0 over the air.
Samsung Android 12 One UI 4.0 Device List [Official]
- Galaxy S series:
- Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G, S21+ 5G, S21 5G, S20 Ultra 5G, S20 Ultra, S20+ 5G, S20+, S20 5G, S20, S20 FE 5G, S20 FE in addition to S10 5G, S10+, S10, S10e, S10 Lite, and upcoming S series devices
- Galaxy Note series:
- Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G, Note 20 Ultra, Note 20 5G, Note 20, Note 10+ 5G, Note 10+, Note 10 5G, Note 10, Note 10 Lite, and upcoming Note series devices
- Galaxy Foldable devices:
- Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G, Z Fold2, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip, Fold 5G, Fold, and upcoming Z series devices
- Galaxy A series:
- Galaxy A72, A52 5G, A52, A32, A71 5G, A71, A51 5G, A51, A90 5G and select upcoming A series devices
- Galaxy Tab S7 FE 5G, Galaxy Tab S7+ 5G, Tab S7+, Tab S7 5G3, Tab S7, Tab S6 5G4, Tab S6, Tab S6 Lite, and upcoming Tab S series devices
Samsung Android 12 One UI 4.0 Beta
On February 19, 2021, Google released the first Android 12 developer preview for Pixel phones. At the same time, the OEM published the schedule for the different developer previews, beta releases, and final releases.
According to Google, it will deliver three developer previews, four public beta updates, while the stable release date is still unconfirmed.
The stable Android 12 may be launched in September 2021 for Google Pixels. Following this, Samsung will begin the One UI 4.0 beta program for developers.
Samsung Android 12 One UI 4.0 Release Date
Besides, the Galaxy S21 flagships will be the first to be invited for the One UI 4.0 beta activity later this year. Furthermore, the company may start delivering the stable One UI 4.0 to these phones from November/December this year.
Samsung Android 12 One UI 4.0 Latest News
[19/06/2021] Samsung starts Android 12 One UI 4.0 development
Recently, well-known tipster Max Weinbach revealed that Samsung has started the Android 12-based One UI 4.0 development for the Galaxy S21 series. Read more here
[18/06/2021] Samsung to introduce One UI 4.0 in October
In October or November, Samsung is expected to introduce the next generation of its custom software system for Galaxy devices, One UI 4.0 based on Google’s Android 12. Read more here
[16/06/2021] Here’s your first look at the Android 12-based One UI 4.0
A user shared a video clip on Reddit showing off his Galaxy device running the Android 12-based One UI 4.0. It reveals that Samsung adopted the major design changes of Google’s latest Android OS. Source
[14/06/2021] Android 12 Beta 2 update brings new status bar indicator
Android 12 Beta 2 update adds a new status bar indicator for ongoing calls. Source
[09/06/2021] Android 12 Beta 2 | One UI 4.0 has arrived one step closer
Just recently, Google released the Android 12 Beta 2 for the eligible Pixel smartphones, which comes with additional features that were missing from the Beta 1. With this update, Samsung smartphone users have arrived another step closer to the One UI 4.0. Source
[13/06/2021] Google Android 12 Beta becomes the most downloaded beta in history
[10/06/2021] Google Messages preparing for Material You design system
Android 12: Google Messages rolls out Material You design system to select users. Source
[09/06/2021] Google released Android 12 Beta 2
Google Android 12 Beta 2 release brings Samsung One UI 4.0 another step closer to the Galaxy devices. Source
[29/05/2021] One UI 4.0 share sheet prevention
Google Android 12 will prevent third-party apps from sharing apps, and can only use the native interface of the Android system. Source
[27/05/2021] Android 12 emoji updates
Android 12 debuts hundreds of modified emojis, some are silly while some are practical. Source
[25/05/2021] Android 12 lets users update apps over third-party stores
Android 12 will let you easily use third-party and alternative app stores to update applications on your device, reveals developer documentation. Source
[25/05/2021] Android 12: Google’s biggest and radical design update in years!
Unlike every version, Google has made countless noticeable changes with the Android 12 such as new design, bubbly buttons, shifting colors, smoother animations, and much more. Vice President of product management, Android and Google Play revealed that it is “the biggest design change in Android’s history.” Source
[19/05/2021] Android 12 will turn select Samsung phones into a car key
During the I/O, Google announced that it will provide the car key function later this year. Android 12 OS comes with a new “car key” feature, which can turn select Pixel and Samsung Galaxy smartphones into car keys. Source
[19/05/2021] Android 12 Beta has arrived, Samsung is yet to reveal One UI 4.0 Beta
Google announced the Android 12 public beta program for around a dozen of brands including Pixel, but Samsung is missing from the list. The reason behind this move is that Samsung will start the development of its Android 12-based custom skin after the stable Android 12 release. Source
[18/05/2021] Download Android 12 Beta GSI for Project Treble supported devices
Ahead of the Android 12 public beta, it looks like the official Android 12 Beta 1 Generic System Image (GSI) packages are already available for download! If you don’t know, GSI is a prebuilt system image that can be booted on devices that support Project Treble. Source
[14/05/2021] iQOO begins Android 12 beta registrations, nothing yet from Samsung
iQOO opened the Android 12 beta recruitment for the iQOO 7 smartphone users in China. This Chinese brand won the race in terms of providing the Android 12 version to its consumers ahead of every other OEM including Samsung. Source
[25/04/2021] One UI 4.0 will be redesigned with loads of user-friendly features
Recently, a reliable source claimed that Samsung will redesign the One UI 4.0 with a set of new features. In addition, the source revealed additional information about the company’s future plans like One UI 4, Under Display Camera phone, software development, and more. Source
April 22, 2021: Android 12 Developer Preview 3
Google started rolling out the Android 12 Developer Preview 3 to the developers that bring One UI 4.0 one more step closer to Samsung smartphone users. The DP3 comes with various major system improvements as well as new features. Source
April 20, 2021: Automatic App Hibernation
Android 12 could automatically hibernate unused apps to decrease storage consumption. Source
April 17, 2021: Automatic App Translation
Android 12 to automatically translate the app’s UI to the user’s local language. Source
April 16, 2021: Recycle Bin feature coming with Android 12
Recently, our folks over at XDADevelopers found a code in the Google Files’ APK teardown in Android 12, which indicates Google is all set to add a global file recycle bin for Android users. Source
April 15, 2021: Big Android 12 Features Leak
The latest Android 12 features leak reveals redesigned UI, new charging animation, optimization for tablets, and more. Source
April 08, 2021: Android 12 Developer Preview 2.2
Google kicked off a new software update, which is technically named Android 12 Developer Preview 2.2. This new firmware brings the April 2021 security patch to increase the system security of Pixel phones as well as tons of bug fixes. Source
March 18, 2021: Android 12 Developer Preview 2
Google is now rolling out the Android 12 Developer Preview 2 which moves the Samsung Galaxy users one step closer to the next generation of One UI – One UI 4.0. This update brings plenty of new features as well as major system optimizations. Source
March 03, 2021: Android 12 Developer Preview 1 Update
After releasing the first Developer Preview of Android 12, Google is now rolling out a new firmware update version 1.1 that brings several bug fixes, to address crashes, reboots, and battery drain issues.
February 19, 2021: Android 12 Developer Preview 1
Google has recently pushed the first Android 12 Developer Preview which gives us an early look at the new changes and features of this Android OS.
Ahead of the stable release, Google also pushed the first Android 12 developer preview bak in February 2021. This activity lets developers (only Google Pixel users) understand and grow the Android 12 ecosystem.
* This article will be updated regularly.
* Article first published on May 05, 2021.